Sunday, June 12, 2011

ICE T


Although rapper/actor Ice-T is debuting his new reality show tonight (June 12th), the 52-year-old has no plans of leaving his rap career behind. In addition to recently reuniting his rock band Body Count, Ice-T has been in the studio working on a variety of projects, including one with veteran rapper Positive K.

For those old enough to remember, Positive K. had a massive, million plus seller in 1992 with the crossover smash "I Got a Man." It was during this time that Positive K. hooked up with Ice-T  and established a long term friendship that has grown stronger since the two met over 20 years ago.

Since Ice-T's reality show "Ice Loves Coco" premieres tonight, Positive K. decided to debut the pair's new track "Artwork" on AllHipHop.com. Pos also relates a story about being on the road with Big Daddy Kane, when a dispute between some real life pimps broke out.
While Ice may be the image of a mellow celebrity now, in the early 80s and 90s Ice-T was anything but, as the story below, involving a younger, Bishop "Magic" Don Juanwill reveal.
By Positive K., As told to Grandmaster Grouchy Greg:
I first met Ice-T on a promo tour with Kool Moe Dee, it was the "I Go To Work" tour. Man, it was the craziest thing in the world. I got into a little altercation with a dude out there on the road that was a pimp. He was kind of rough with me and [Big Daddy] Kane and he was telling me that me and Kane we weren't pimps. And we got into a real argument. I had just dropped my song "Night Shift." Kane was doing the player thing and he was hot at the time.
This dude was a little older than us, and he was an actual pimp in Chicago. It was one guy named General, but his partner was Bishop Don Juan at the time.
We didn't know who he was. So I got into an altercation and Ice came through and said "what's the problem?" I didn't even know Ice that well. So Ice pulled out this MAC-11, man! He was like, listen if there's a problem, this thing will let out so much bullets, I'll shoot myself. I was like "yo, this is crazy!" He had it wrapped in a towel and I was like, yo damn! He said "man don't worry about it."
He was running raw at this point in time. The edges weren't smoothed out at all. Ice was raw! Ice was coming straight out of South Central! Pulling out a MAC-11 was kind of an ordinary thing you'd see Ice do.
They had me tight, saying me and Kane weren't pimps. But they were just touching our buttons to see if we were serious about what we were saying that we were - and we were.
A good relationship came out of that with Ice and with Don Juan, who is the infamous Bishop Don Juan right now. Ice always tells me "aren't you glad that you didn't kill that dude?"
Through my years with music, I've got a few friends, and I've got to say, Ice is definitely one of them. Whenever I need him to do something, I call my big homie man, and he comes right to me, no questions asked. He came to the studio, didn't ask anything.

Share/Bookmark