Saturday, June 11, 2011

CBE


A principal who helped improve the fortunes of an ailing college on the Isle of Wight has been recognised in the Queen's Birthday Honours list.
Debbie Lavin is credited with improving the Ofsted rating for Isle of Wight College, Newport, from "unsatisfactory" to "outstanding".
She has been appointed CBE for her services to further education.
She said: "I really feel there are better people who deserve one but I'm absolutely delighted."
Mrs Lavin said the improvements at the college had been a team effort.
She said: "What it means is what we do at this college is great and there is no 'I' in team."
'Proudest moment'She admitted bursting into tears when she found out about her award and said she was looking forward the ceremony.
"I think it will be one of the proudest moments of my life with my family," she said.
A volunteer at Southampton's teaching hospitals is also among those honoured.
Malcolm Kitson, 75, has been appointed MBE for his voluntary service to Southampton General Hospital.
He runs a mentoring programme for students looking for a career in healthcare, which has helped more than 800 people.
He said: "I am extremely humbled and very grateful to be recognised for something I am so passionate about."

Share/Bookmark