Friday, May 27, 2011

Housing Matters


Young couples, divorcees with children and low income families are among those who have made it to the Ministry of National Development's (MND) priority list.
Former Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan, now the National Development Minister, revealed this yesterday in the first post he put up on his new Housing Matters blog.
In the entry titled Trepidation and Expectation, Mr Khaw said that many people have sent him emails, letters and facebook messages offering feedback and suggestions for housing issues.
'There were hundreds of them and many more will come, I am sure. I thank them all. They have given me a feel of the nature and the scale of the unhappiness and concerns,' he said.
But Mr Khaw stressed that it is not possible to please everyone as demands are often contradictory. He gave an example: many people want him to bring property prices down, but many also warned him against doing so.
'I am therefore realistic about what is doable. The key is to prioritise and set realistic goals, for short term, medium term and long term,' he said.
'In the immediate, I will focus on the housing needs of some groups like the young couples, divorcees with children, and low income families as I appreciate the anxieties they are currently experiencing.'
Fast rising home prices amid a sharp economic recovery in the last two years have bred a group of anxious home seekers. Housing affordability became a hot potato during the general election, with opposition parties coming up with various suggestions to keep flats within reach.
'I am not a masochist. Housing is hot politically and there are genuine problems on the ground,' Mr Khaw acknowledged.
'I will be very comfortable staying back in MOH (Ministry of Health) and I still have meaningful programmes to launch or complete. But I thought in my next five years I can be more useful in MND than in MOH.'
Mr Khaw said he will consult widely and use all communication platforms available. Through his new blog, he will regularly share his thoughts on issues under MND's purview. These include housing, land use, construction and food safety. Just this week, MND also launched its Facebook page.
Mr Khaw had a 'Health Minister Says' blog when he headed MOH and made regular posts since 2009. The new Health Minister, Gan Kim Yong, will be taking over that blog.

Share/Bookmark