Sunday, January 30, 2011

Herschel Walker MMA


Herschel Walker MMA
Up until Saturday night’s “Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Cyborg” show, I was convinced P90X’s Tony Horton was Father Time’s kryptonite. While the 52-year-old has captivated the world over with his workout regimen, Herschel Walker is doing things at 48 (he turns 49 in March) that has the MMA world in complete awe.
“I’m happy I won and I’m happy I took it to the ground,’’ Walker said after bumping his pro record to a perfect 2-0. “My ground game has definitely improved. That’s something we’ve been working on in the gym with all the guys since the last fight.”
Prior to his 1stRound victory over Scott Carson, Walker professed he was more fit now than when he collected his Heisman Trophy award nearly 30 years ago. In fact, he claimed he could still clock a 4.4 in the 40-yard dash.
Despite his advanced age, Walker understands he’s just a rookie in the game of MMA. Knowing there’s still a ways to go, he’s anxious to get back to American Kickboxing Academy to crack the books … and some skulls.
“I don’t have time to play,” Walker admitted. “When I do something I do it with all my heart. I have to train more. I’m still a young MMA fighter.  I’m happy with the win but I still have a lot to learn.
“I love MMA and look forward to fighting again.’’
Randy Couture is mixed martial art’s most accomplished elder statesman. The UFC Hall of Famer is 47 and is perfect through his last three Octagon outings.
While Walker’s performance inside the HP Pavilion on Saturday was impressive, Horton remains my elderly idol. He and Pam “The Blam” have parleyed their primitive workout routine into a hundred-million dollar company.

Share/Bookmark