Saturday, July 2, 2011

Tabu


She is one of Bollywood’s most lauded female actors. Since her 1985 screen debut, Tabu has starred in over 70 films including both critical and box office smashes. Known primarily for her work in Hindi cinema, she has also performed in languages Telegu, Tamil, Malayalam and Bengali pictures and had her North American breakthrough playing the role of Ashima Ganguli in director Mira Nair’s 2007 adaptation of Jhumpa Lahiri’s novel The Namesake.
Four of her finest cinematic turns will be featured at the Indian Summer Festival Film Series running July 9 - 14. The July 8 launch of the event will include a conversation between Tabu and Man Booker Prize-winning author Yann Martel discussing her coming starring role in director Ang Lee’s highly anticipated film version of Martel’s book The Life of Pi.
Tabu took time away from her busy working schedule to answer a number of questions, save one. She wouldn’t tell us where her stage name came from or if it had any relationship to the English word Taboo.

Q: With more film awards for best female performer than any other Indian actress, you have clearly reached a pinnacle of critical fame. It is reported that you choose films based upon the story over the likely box office success?
A: “Box office success was definitely not my criteria for choosing my films. I went understanding the reasons why I was choosing them. The story, yes. The role of my character in the film, if the journey of playing this character would be interesting for me and the fact that I would or wouldn’t enjoy the process of making the movie.”
In Chandni Bar, you play the character Mumtaz who is, in many ways, the nice girl who gets in the thick of it in Mumbai. The movie includes scenes of police brutality and of the ways in which bar dancers are exploited. Are you interested in these more real lifestyle stories?
A: “I was not consciously looking for real life stories. I’ve done the typical larger than life films too. But the ones that stood out were the ones that dealt with themes that spoke about hard or “real” stuff.”
How do you feel about working on Life of Pi and is it true you are meeting Yann Martel for the first time in Vancouver?
“Life of Pi was always going to be a special experience just by being the project it is. It’s fantastic to be working with Ang Lee, who I think is one of the most important filmmakers today. With a big studio backing it with such passion, I’m totally looking forward to this. Yes, I will meet Yann for the first time. Looking forward.”
More Bollywood films and actors are now working in Hollywood as well. Do you think that there is a globalization process taking place in cinema?
“America is probably getting more aware of talent overseas since information and access now has become easier, both ways. Also, India and Indian population in the USA is a huge market for film. I feel that people are surely being more open to collaborating and engaging talent outside their realm. I think it’s a great thing. Artistic expression, talent, cinema, these shouldn’t be restricted to any place.”
The IMDB filmography lists you appearing in films in over six different languages/dialects. Is this typical for Indian film actors as it sounds terribly challenging?
“Not all Indian actors do this. I always found it interesting in a way that it challenged me. To learn and to express myself in a language that was alien to me. It was not easy! I’ve had some difficult times especially with some directors who preferred to shoot lengthy shots without cutting. But I loved it. I love speaking new languages and I did some of my better works in regional language films and met some great people too. I didn’t ever want to restrict my acting to just the Hindi language.”
Last film acted in: The Life of Pi
Last film viewed: The Hangover 2
Favourite Film: One of my favourites is Frida

Share/Bookmark