Saturday, May 14, 2011

Derek Boogaard


New York Rangers enforcer Derek Boogaard, 28, was found dead by family members in his apartment in Minneapolis on Friday.
Rangers general manager Glen Sather said:
He was a very thoughtful person, who will be dearly missed by all those who knew him. We extend our deepest sympathies to his family, friends and teammates during this difficult time.
Boogaard’s cause of death is unknown, but an autopsy will be conducted on Saturday. There were no signs of physical trauma and the results could take weeks to come back.
He was drafted by and played for the Minnesota Wild for five seasons before a trade to the Rangers. His playing time with the Rangers was limited to 22 games because of a severe concussion. This is what he said:
I did not want to have the year I had for my first year. I disappointed a lot of people. So I gotta work my [butt] off this summer so I can get back to what I was doing in Minny, you know?
The 6-foot 8-inch player was affectionately nicknamed the “Boogey Man.” In 255 games with Minnesota, he had 54 fights and served 544 penalty minutes.

Share/Bookmark