Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Chicago Code


Chicago Code
Shawn Ryan (Lie To Me, The Shield) cop series The Chicago Code finally lands down in the UK this week. Starring Jennifer Beals as the Windy City's first-ever female superintendent Teresa Colvin and Jason Clarke as detective Jarek Wysocki, the show focuses on their battle with police corruption inside and outside the force. FormerFlashdance star Beals spoke to journalists earlier this year about what they can expect from the programme.

What is it about this show that makes it different from other cop shows?
"It's true in America and I'm sure it's the same in the UK that people get a sense that something is really wrong in government and our culture and that there's a corruption in not only politics, but spirit as well. People are so quick to be violent with each other. I think people would like to find a solution to make things better and I think we all inside of us have this desire to reform, but we don't know how to change things. And here you have a cop show that is not just about the action on the street. It certainly has that element and there is that cop drama stuff on the street, but there is also a female superintendent who is not only taking on corruption on the street, but in the halls of power and her own department. You are able to watch as this person is trying to make things right at great cost to herself. We all know there is corruption in politics and that there's corruption in any police force and there's also personal corruption and private corruption. That is sometimes illustrated in relationships with people. There are lots of different levels and you can enjoy the show on lots of different levels."

So it's not just a cop action series?
"No, the relationships are really important. To work in the police department, regardless of your position, it's very difficult. To be working on the street or homicide, it's very difficult. I can't stress enough the kinds of things you will see day-in-day-out and how difficult that is for the soul. To witness then on top of everything the corruption in City Hall that contributes to the suffering of your fellow officers and the people of the city, it is incredibly wearing. You have to ask yourself, why does someone stay in a job? What's going on personally that keeps them there? The show addresses those questions. The show doesn't portray every police offer as a soldier who is so tough that they can see shootings all day and they're impervious to it. There is a personal toll, which the show examines."

You spent some time with the police as part of your research. Was that an experience that shocked you?
"The first ride-along was shocking. But then you spend some time playing the part, you spend more time getting information and it's not so shocking. I grew up on the South side of Chicago. It was not the first time that I'd seen bullet holes in cars. It was not the first time I'd seen shell casings and frankly it was not the first time I'd seen anyone get shot. What was shocking really was that there was a group gathered around this man before he was taken away in the ambulance, and it was really clear that people there knew who shot him and that it was gang-related... but nobody would come forward. That was shocking. Seeing kids rope-jumping in the street at 2am, streets away from drug dealers, that's shocking. The gap in the circle is education. Primarily in my mind for the young women, because it's the young women who are raising the kids and that's where the circle perpetuates itself."

In what ways did this role test you?
"I was testing my own strength in having to suppress what is stereotypically more feminine or female values, like nurturing and inclusion. I think early on in her leadership, as much as she'd like to be inclusive and share information, she doesn't because it would be perceived as weak and perhaps put her in a position of weakness. That is not the nature of the system that she is now a part of. That was trying at times. To maintain a balance between masculine values and feminine values. That was really trying sometimes."

Did you talk to any high-powered women before playing the role?
"I did talk to other women. Obviously it's very interesting to be a woman in charge of a department or several bureaus, who are primarily men. To even ascend to the position where she can even be nominated for that job is impressive. I really believe that she was the token candidate and then they thought she would be a puppet. So they are surprised when she's not a puppet. Having said that, her ascension comes through expertise. She's been in lots of different departments in the Chicago police, she started out as an officer, a beat cop, she's done tactical, homicide, she knows a lot, which is a feasible idea. So she does have a great deal of respect from her fellow officers. But you would be naive to think that to be able to ascend to that sort of level wouldn't be without cost. She's got to be a bit of a bad-ass. I think it's also cost her a personal life. Everything is about this job."

Did you have any reservations about the show or the role?
"If I didn't feel up for the challenges of the role, I certainly wouldn't have taken it because I wouldn't want to disappoint myself or anybody else. I knew that I had a great writing time and I knew that we would have a lot of help in preparing for the role. When we started shooting, sometimes I was at a loss on what to do, because comprehending the role was pretty extraordinary. So much that the superintendent does and to be the first female superintendent... it's a lot to take on. There were so many things that I had questions about that nobody could answer for me, because there has never been a female superintendent in Chicago. So with Teresa I was making things up as I go along and I was trying to find my way. And, oh gosh, no reservations about the show. No reservations at all. Shawn is a great writer and a great leader."

The show is obviously being compared to The Shield. Do you mind that?
"For me, I really separate myself from the advertising department apart from doing interviews. However, if they want to promote it as that it is fine. As long as people tune in and watch the stories, it doesn't bother me at all. I think there was a thing about The L Word being compared toSex and the City as well, 'Same sex, different city', or something like that. That was fine too."

The Chicago Code starts on Thursday, May 12 at 9pm on Sky1.

Share/Bookmark